Sunday, May 25, 2008

Giant Brain - Plume (2007)

I won't pretend to know much about the Giant Brain. Credit must be given to NPR's All Songs Considered for bringing this group into my realm of knowing. I know they're Detroit boys and have some considerable talent, but outside of my usual, I hesitate to use the word 'scene' yet I suppose it is the best I can conjure. I dug up what I could and found they cite influence from the krautrock greats Can, Neu!, Amon Düul, and Faust in addition to good old My Bloody Valentine and Sonic Youth. Thus they've created a satisfying mixture of electronic and rock music; all of it completely instrumental. Plume is a five track release, but I'd refrain from calling it an EP as it times in at 48 minutes and change. Not coming off overly heavy for my tastes is something remarkable for a band I've seen labeled as stoner rock, which is not a label I choose to use ever. "Ausgesetzt" was the song NPR played that got me interested enough to go after them, because truth be told just the fact of being a Detroit band doesn't hold much sway, we've got a lot of music. "Die Festzeit" has a distinctively dreamy feeling to it while "Looper" and "Krauter" are long enough to have many transitioning moods (oh, how I fancy lengthy tracks). For fans of krautrock and great instrumental music alike I recommend this strongly.

To be had here (192 VBR kbps):
Giant Brain - Plume

2 comments:

  1. they rule. you should hear the 2nd cd. It's better. I heard that a 3rd in he works for late 2012

    ReplyDelete