Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Marshmallow Kisses - I Wonder Why My Favorite Boy Leaves Me An EP (2004)

With a name like the Marshmallow Kisses one can safely assume it is gonna be twee. No disappointments here, this duo makes sugary sweet pop ditties that anyone not too soured to smile at cuteness can enjoy. If I didn't look it up, I would have sworn they were one of many American or British twee groups, albeit a good one. However, inspection unearthed that they're from Hong Kong. Avowedly not romantically linked, the two are out to make lovely tunes to share with others. As far as I'm concerned, they've beautifully achieved that much. The music has a flavoring of bossa nova rhythms and child-like vocals from both members often sing back to back or in unison. The instrumentation which have harmonic strings, guitars and tapping drums are great compliments to the lyrics and mood of the EP. The EP reminds me of the Softies and 3.. 6.. 9 Seconds Of Light by Belle & Sebastian. It's fucking pretty, it's twee.

To be had here (256 kbps):
The Marshmallow Kisses - I Wonder Why My Favorite Boy Leaves Me An EP

No comments:

Post a Comment